Monday, 22 November 2010

Luis Suárez: 'The Mike Tyson of Ajax’?

Ajax's Uruguayan international forward Luis Suárez
On Saturday Ajax's Uruguayan international forward bite opponent midfielder Otman Bakkal in the 0-0 draw in the Eredivisie.

Ajax are under pressure to take disciplinary action against their striker Luis Suárez after television images appeared to show him biting. The referee did not see the incident and Suárez was not punished but he could still face sanctions from the KNVB based on the video images.

Luis Suárez is not the first biting an opponent in a sport match. Mike Tyson taking a chomp on his opponents ear is one of sport's most haunting images. In the English premier league Tottenham striker Defoe gained notoriety when he bizarrely aimed a bite at then West Ham midfielder Javier Mascherano during a Barclays Premier League match in 2006. Meanwhile Tyson's chomp on Evander Holyfield's ear is one of sport's most haunting images.

Incredibly Suarez escaped censure for his actions and even said afterward: 'No, I do not regret what happened. Normally I always keep calm but I didn't... I'm a little tired. This week I had to travel a lot.'

The late Rinus Michels, also known as “the General”, coach of the Dutch team that narrowly lost to Germany in the 1974 final, famously said, “Football is war”. This of course shouldn’t be conceived too literality but in some way it is true. Biting should not happen on the pitch but it is one of the few things that happen. I hope Luis stops biting his opponents and starts doing the most important thing: scoring goals.


A banner in Dutch saying "Football is War" by supporters of Ajax.

















http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/nov/22/luis-suarez-biting-otman-bakkal

No comments:

Post a Comment